WIDA Español releases Marco ALE, a brand-new Spanish language arts framework
September 28, 2021 | By WIDA Communications
Marco ALE guides the enhancement and development of the next iteration of Spanish language arts standards in the U.S.
WIDA Español releases Marco de referencia de las artes del lenguaje del español de WIDA (Marco ALE), a Spanish language arts framework! Marco ALE is the first framework of its kind in the U.S. It provides the key elements for developing standards and teaching Spanish language arts in grades K–12.
Marco ALE guides the enhancement and development of the next iteration of Spanish language arts standards in the U.S. and is grounded in current theory and practice, with considerations for the diversity of the Spanish language and the context within which it is taught — including bilingual settings.
To develop Marco ALE, WIDA Español conducted a literature review of language arts, an analysis of Spanish language arts standards and related documents across six countries in the Americas (including existing standards in the U.S.), and consulted with expert researchers, policy makers and education administrators at the local and state level, and academic leaders in the field. As a result, Marco ALE is made up of three ideologías orientadoras, seven prácticas de la disciplina, and four conceptos básicos that serve as the basis for Spanish language arts.
The following documents provide guidelines for the implementation of Marco ALE, while highlighting the linguistic and academic opportunities for bi/multilingual learners of Spanish. Both are written in Spanish with English summaries.
- Marco ALE: Aplicación para la actualización y desarrollo de estándares. This document is for state and local policymakers and educators responsible for developing, enhancing and aligning Spanish language arts standards. Download the PDF at no cost on the Marco ALE webpage. Purchase a full-color, spiral-bound book from the WIDA Store.
- Marco ALE: Aplicación para la enseñanza. This document is for teachers and others who provide direct instruction of Spanish language arts at the school level. In the document, you will find definitions, sample standards and lesson plans, mini-instruments and questions for reflection. Download a sample of the PDF at no cost on the Marco ALE webpage. Purchase the complete full-color, spiral-bound book from the WIDA Store.
Learn more about Marco ALE
- Get familiar with the Marco ALE webpages. These webpages are the go-to spots for Marco ALE resources and information. La página web también está disponible en español.
- Check out the article on transculturalismo, one of the Marco ALE ideologías orientadoras. The article provides suggestions for integrating transculturalismo in your lessons. Este artículo también está disponible en español.
- Read the Instruction in Spanish: Las prácticas de la disciplina del Marco ALE article to learn more about two of the seven Marco ALE practices, with examples and ideas on how to use them in the classroom. Este artículo también está disponible en español.
- Use this slide deck to inform colleagues about Marco ALE.
- Check out the newly released Conversations with Tim: Instrucción en español to read an interview with Cristina Alfaro, an expert member of the Marco ALE review team.
About WIDA Español
WIDA Español is a WIDA program that offers educators who teach academic content and language development in Spanish a comprehensive system for supporting such instruction and assessment. To receive occasional messages about WIDA Español resources, products, tools and services, use the form on the newsletter signup page (and the email that follows) to select the WIDA Español interest area.
WIDA is an educational services organization within the University of Wisconsin–Madison’s School of Education. It advances academic language development and academic achievement for multilingual children by providing resources that ensure an equitable and quality education.